Assalaam 'alaykum lovelies, hope you are all good as I am. Praise be to the Sustainer for another moment to make things right. Today on this wonderful segment, we will take a quick break from food and discuss a relatively pressing issue (you shall find out as we go on).
Sometimes, you get really worried when it's time for solah; not because you are lazy, or a hypocrite. But because you know that once you perform ablution, it is like a mirage: it disappears as soon as you begin solah or before you go into rukoo'. The worst case scenerio is when it breaks off just before the imaam does the tasleem! That one is total "gobe".
Research took me to the root-cause of this "natural" menace called flatulence. Although essential, when frequent, and obnoxious in smell, could be quite embarrassing. Excessive farting which is a component of Flatulence is borne out of 4 major factors:
1) Swallowing excess air due to rushed eating or drinking, chewing gum, drinking carbonated drinks like soda and even as an unconscious habit like anxiety.
2) increased production of gas as certain undigested foods are broken down by harmless bacteria normally found in the colon. These undigested foods may also occur in chronic intestinal problems such as chronic megacolon, patients undergoing chemotherapy or in certain infectious diseases such as giardiasis.
3) Gas diffusing into our intestines from our bloodstream.
4) Chemical reactions involved in digestion.
Constipation could also be a contributory factor to flatulence.
Asides staying away from foods and drinks that increase farting or extent of pungency, some natural remedies to prevent excessive farting include:
Ginger helps stimulate saliva, bile and gastric juice production and thus aids better digestion. This is due to many phenolic compounds in ginger mainly gingerol and shagaol as well as other volatile oils.This herb cum spice has muscle relaxant properties which relieves gases trapped in the digestive system. Ginger relieves constrictions in the intestine due to tension and spasms in the gastrointestinal tract, thus helping in passing of trapped gas. Ginger can be prepared in various ways- as ginger tea, by making cookies with it, or in stew" soup.
2) Preventive measures:
a) Don’t Chew Gum: You will take in wind which needs to be passed out either way.
b) Avoid Fizzy Drinks
c) Eat Slowly
d) Chew Food Thoroughly
e) Chew with your mouth closed i.e. keep the lid shut.
f) Avoid gassy foods
g) Introduce fibre into your diet slowly.
3) Natural digestive enzymes:
Inadequate enzymes to break down food completely, precludes one's digestive system from absorbing all of the nutrients it needs. These missing enzymes can be replaced by eating specific fruits containing papain and bromelain, or by taking an enzyme supplement. Pineapples are high in bromelain and papayas are rich in papain.
4) Apple Cider Vinegar: ACV is one of nature's very potent cleanser and eliminator, as well as well as being one of the best foods for digestion. Mixing up a tablespoon of organic ACV in a glass of warm filtered water and slowly sipping, instantly relieves flatulence. Be sure to repeat this 2-3 times daily on an empty stomach.
5) Baking Soda and Lemon: Baking soda and lemon juice form carbon dioxide, which is a natural digestive aid. Complete relief with this terrific gas and bloating remedy usually occurs in about 20 minutes.
Simply squeeze the juice of one lemon or 20 ml of lemon juice into a half filled glass of filtered water then add a teaspoon of baking soda. After the “fizz” has gone fill the rest of the glass with water, mix again then drink. For even better results, this remedy may be combined combine with apple cider vinegar. Not only does this help to alleviate digestion and gas problems, it increases your body’s pH level, which is absolutely crucial for your overall health and longevity.
6) Peppermint: Mix in two drops of peppermint oil in half a cup of cool water and drink twice daily.
7) Cinnamon: Gives instant relief from gas problems. Simply warm up a cup of whey or soy milk and add a teaspoon of cinnamon, along with a teaspoon of honey. Let it sit for 5 minutes then reheat and slowly drink while hot. You'll find this home remedy doesn't just stop immediate flatulence problem, it helps to prevent further occurrences in the future as well.
So, there we go, it is believed that these tips will work. In shaa Allah. Till next week God willing, Ciao!
P.S: Most of the listed naturals above are sold in standard grocery stores as well as Islaamic stores.